Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot

Monday, April 11, 2011

Smile!

We talk a lot about klutziness and clumsiness in my home. Each of our daughters has her own sense of style and her own type of gracefulness. However, each one is also at least a little bit accident prone and, thankfully, good-natured about it. I think the "it could happen" factor was a powerful tool for me when I began reading Raina Telgemeier's graphic memoir Smile, a 5th-6th Grade Book of the Year finalist in the 2011 Children's Choice Book Awards.As I kept reading and rooting for the protagonist, it struck me that Raina Telgemeier is like a Judy Blume in the age of graphic novels. I love this story and I love the way it's told. Our twin daughters are in 6th grade and wear braces just like the very real protagonist, Raina. Thankfully they've (so far) been spared the dental trauma she undergoes but trauma knows no limits when you're 12; everything is traumatic. I actually don't want to give anything away regarding this book - just encourage your middle grade kids to read it. You and they won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment